Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Top-5 Favorite Films

1--Vanilla Sky: The premise of this film is just fascinating to me. Always found it intriguing. The ambiguity of the end of the film makes me want to watch it more and more, just to analyze it some more.

2--Dead Poets Society: "O Captain, My Captain," "Carpe Diem," "If we shadows have offended..." No other film has influenced me as a teacher as this one has!

3--American Beauty: Great flick with lots of wry humor. It's got a modernist twist to it, kind of reminiscent of Arthur Miller mixed with some F. Scott Fitzgerald.

4--Big Fish: Not sure why, but this is another fantastic teaser for the brain. It's full of symbolism and motifs, and the father-son theme is definitely a draw for me.

5--The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The epitome of the epic western. The soundtrack, the themes, the characterization... all pure genius.

Runners-Up:
--Tombstone
--With Honors
--Almost Famous
--A River Runs Through It
--Once Upon a Time in the West
--Godfather Trilogy (even Part III)
--Matrix (only the first one)

2 comments:

  1. I've got to add Inception to my list of runners-up. Great movie -- really had me thinking afterwards. I had to watch it several more times just to put everything together. The more I watched it, the more I noticed as far as symbols and foreshadowing. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may even have to mention Avatar as another runner-up -- great flick!

    ReplyDelete